Make sure you don not have another device eating the sound card's IRQ.
My PCMCIA network card is notorious for that and I have to put IRQ 5 in
the PCMCIA configuration as a protected IRQ.  One you know the sound
card's IRQ is free, manually enter into the modules.conf:

alias sound-slot-0 sb
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1

Replace the settings above with your sound card's settings.  Most of
those sound cards can have there settings tweak or read in the BIOS
config.

Also if you simply ensure the sound card's IRQ is free, sndconfig should
work, but you will still need to know your sound cards settings as
sndconfig does not detect all of the older sound cards.  Harddrake works
best with PCI sound cards.

It is a starting point,

      Woody

--
     Woody

Gatewood Green            Network/System Administrator
Email:                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.linif.org/     Linux in Idaho Falls Linux User Group