I can give this a try.  May I ask why I'm giving this a try?

thanks,

KevinO wrote:
Are you booting with the boot-time kernel parameters
"mem=nopentium" and/or "noapic" ?

These can be put into an append line in lilo.conf also.

Here is a snippit from a lilo.conf file showing the append line near the bottom :
--------------snip--------------
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=linux-smp
keytable=/boot/us.klt
lba32
prompt
nowarn
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
ignore-table
image=/boot/vmlinuz-smp
        label=linux-smp
        root=/dev/hda6
        initrd=/boot/initrd-smp.img
        append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi mem=nopentium noapic"
        read-only
---------------snip----------------

You will have to (re)run lilo in order to commit the changes to disk.

KevinO

. wrote:

   Well, I do have some new parts installed in the system, but I'm
pretty sure this was happening before I installed the new hardware.  I
upgraded the motherboard and CPU to an AMD XP 1600.

 memtest is reporting errors on tests 5 and 8, which the docs say
happen often with AMD XP CPU's and some cheap memory chips.  I have a
PNY pc133 256MB chip and a Kingston pc133 256MB chip.  I would not
consider either of these "cheap" memory, and the problem exists with
both chips by themselves, as well as together.  I suppose I could try to
find a different RAM chip, in case they are both bad (which I doubt).

 I have several IDE devices, so I tried unplugging all unnecessary
devices for getting to memtest, but the problem still existed.  I'm
building a new system, so I grabbed the power supply out of it (which is
bigger), and plugged it up, but that didn't fix the problem either.

 I'm going to see if there's a bios upgrade for my motherboard, but
after that I don't know what to try.  It seems like it's either the CPU
or the  motherboard ... neither of which I can test individually.

Cory