: On 2002-11-19 Bharath Sankaranarayan said:
:
: card,DWL-650 wireless card based on Prism2 chipset on pcmcia) with Grub
:
: I installed a workstation with a few additions to the standard install
: and did the update towards the end of the installation.  Now I would
: like to have my DWL-650 wireless card working. The machine has a built
: in e100 and it was properly detected.

wvlan_cs should be a viable driver for the DWL-650.  Actually, so should
orinoco_cs and prism2_cs.

I'm cc'ing this to cooker b/c I'd like to start a discussion about
updating /etc/pcmcia/config or creating a /etc/pcmcia/orinoco.conf.
While the wvlan_cs driver works, I thought that it was deprecated in
favor of orinoco_cs (which is actively supported) for Hermes-based
cards.

: So I went to the folder called /3rdparty and found that there were
: precompiled versions of prism2_cs driver which is what my card uses.  I
: modified the /etc/pcmcia/config file to change the driver for the
: Intersil Prisim II to read prism2_cs instead of wlan_cs. Also I added on
: my /etc/modules.conf alias wlan0 prism2_cs I rebooted and my card beeped
: 2times like before and then I got a steady green light Upon lsmod I
: found that prism2_cs was loaded and so was p80211 and ds and
: yenta_socket.

The prism2_cs driver doesn't implement all the kernel wireless
extensions.  Thus you will not be able to use iwconfig(1) for
configuration.  Please grab the prism2-utils package from contrib.  The
prism2_* drivers require wlan-ctl(1) for configuration.

Another solution might be checking out the prism2 hostap driver at
<http://hostap.epitest.fi/>.  It supports the prism2_cs stuff, as well
as providing hostap mode.  Oh, and it does have the current wireless
extensions so you can use iwconfig(1).

Who's ear could a I put a bug into for evaluating this driver for
kernel-2.4.19-20mdk?

Hope you find this helpful.  And for everyone on the cooker list, sorry
for the cross-post but this seems like a good way to kill two birds
with one stone.

        --Jerry