On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 19:37, Jack Coates wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 17:46, Dave Seff wrote:
> > I had a user's machine (Mdk 8.2) suddenly freeze up. The cpu was at 100%
> > (kernel, not user), and he was kicked back out to the logic screen.
> >
> > I then found this in /var/adm/messages.
> >
> > Nov 19 16:15:39 advisen13 kernel: __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation
> > failed (gfp=0x1d2/0)
> > Nov 19 16:15:39 advisen13 kernel: VM: killing process X
> >

> 2.4 kernels will kill runaway processes -- something caused X to run
> away, and the alloc failure tells me it was probably memory. Have the
> user run gkrellm or top and it will be a little clearer what happened,
> but I don't know a good way to remotely figure it out.

Should qualify my own statement :-) 2.4 kernels will kill runaway
processes _if_ they run away slowly enough for the kernel to catch it
and figure out what's going on... I've had gpilotd beta releases eat
768M of RAM and 1G of swap in about twenty seconds, and when that
happens the machine just reboots. No ifs ands or buts, no stop and think
about this, it's just a goner :-)
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...