Hi, all,

I have just recently installed 9.0 and - obviously - my Netgear MA401 wireless
card didn't work - so - first thing first, I started searching the 'net.
Mandrake expert archive seemed like a good starting point, and - though I
found helpful hints and I have it now (somehow) working, I would like to run
this over by you - experts - for some refinement.

Here is my setup:
- MA401 card in a Toshiba Tecra 8100
- ME102AP in the office, sitting on a 172.x.y.0 network, setup as AP and
getting its address via DHCP. Behind it I have a DHCP server delivering from
the 172.x.y.0 scope (mask is irrelevant here)
- ME102AP at home, sitting on a 192.168.w.0 network, with the AP setup same as
above ("back-ended" with a DHCP server, obviously delivering from the 192.168
scope)
- other desktops provided with MA401, Winblows based, at home and in the
office, getting their addresses via DHCP just fine

History:
1. first time installing 9.0 ==> card detected properly, network came up right
away (!!!)
2 rebooting the machine ==> no more network
3 reading [expert] archive ==> found the problem mentioned by Teemu in regards
to the network-functions script ==> corrected it ==> card still didn't work
4 reading [expert] archive ==> found the advice from Simon in regards to using
the orinoco_cs instead ==> put that in place (with appropriate hermes.conf)
==> card was able to start working and get an adddress and rest of IP data
via DHCP IN THE OFFICE!
5. moved laptop home ==> card is active and getting data via DHCP in regards
to broadcast address and mask, but REMEMBERS THE IP ADDRESS FROM
OFFICE (!?!). No matter what I do at home (re-detecting, service network and
pcmcia restarts, re-booting, manually running the scripts, etc.) the d***
card remembers the IP address it grabbed in the office (but it gets the right
netmask and broadcast!!!)
6. created some scripts on the fly to set static addressing for now, at home,
just to be able to shoot this email from home

What I didn't do (yet - anybody thinking it may be worth?!?):
1. didn't upgrade/get the latest orinoco_cs, if any available beyond what
Mandrake distro delivers
2. did not upgrade/get the latest utilities/tools package, just used the
Mandrake delivered ones
3. did not run a sniffer at home, to see what is happening with the requests
from my laptop, when looking for an IP address ... my reasoning being that
otehr machines in my house get proper assignments via same mechanism, thus it
works (i.e. DHCP address delivery)

Could this be another script somewhere, not updating/deleting the temporary
setup/conf files, when the info gets delivered via DHCP?!?

One more wierd thing: before having switched to orinoco_cs and the appropriate
hermes.conf, iwconfig used to report the MA401 as Prism I, not II?!?

So - sorry for the lengthy message - but does anyone see something I should
try, next, to get this thing going right?

TIA,
Stef