From: "Dean S. Messing" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [expert] Corrupted RPM database (need help)
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 18:15:49 -0800 (PST)

I know this has come up before, but I can't seem to find
the solution in the archives (other than re-installing).

My RPM database seems to have gotten corrupted.
If I do: rpm -qa

it hangs after listing most (but not all) of my installed packages.

I tried to do: rpm --rebuilddb

but this seems to go into an infinite loop. It will begin
rebuilding in the /var/lib directory but after some time the
load average jumps up one unit. After some more time it jumps
up another unit (to three) and the files in the re-build directory
just keep getting overwritten.

Is there any way to reconstruct the database? This system has a great
deal of out-of-distribution software (like win4lin, scilab, selected
cooker stuff, nvidia drivers, sun java rpms, &c.) which would take
hours to re-install.

All was well a couple of weeks ago. Since then I've done one or two
updates from the Mandrake update site. I have no idea how the DB got
corrupted.

System: Mdk 9.0 will all applicable updates as of 27th Dec 2002.
rpm -q rpm: rpm-4.0.4-19mdk

Thanks in advance.
I hope someone here can save my bacon!

Dean S. Messing
Display Algorithms & Visual Optimization Lab
Information Systems Technologies Dept.
Sharp Laboratories of America
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 3 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU= http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_smartspamprotection_3mf