On Monday 30 December 2002 09:22 am, Stefano Pogliani wrote:
> After having installed some packages from TexStar, I do not see anymore
> the MenuItems in OpenOffice (only "-" signs). I tried to change the
> "AUTO" option in /etc/openoffice/openoffice.cfg but with no luck...
>
> Also I noticed that I started to see strange characters in some web page
> using Mozilla ("-" changed into "?" for instance, but not consistently
> on the page, but consistently on the type of font used...)
>
> I would really like to avoid to go back and roolback my installation !
> Unfortunately I realized this strange behavior after I have actually
> updated too many things that I woud really do not want to get rid of.
>
> Does anybody have a workaround for this? Is this problem due to the new
> fonts that are present in the TextStar archive?
>
> Thanks a lot for any help. Best regards
> /stefano

Stefano -

I had the same issues as you, but decided that, since one of texstar's main
things was his truetype libs, I'd use one of the installed fonts which I
*know* work with his libfreetype packages.

My /etc/openoffice/openoffice.cfg looks like this (comments removed):
============begin here=============
UI_FONT="Arial Unicode Ms [Xft]"

FONT_SCALING="AUTO"

PAPER_SIZE="A4"

I got the name of the font from the "Appearance" section of the KMail
configuration panel (you may have other applications installed which show the
exact names), and note that I uncommented the FONT_SCALING parameter

All works well this end - hth
--
 john in sydney
 Mandrake Linux 9.0, Kernel version: 2.4.19-16mdk