My Final Solution for everyone's edification:

/etc/modules.conf
 added  3 lines at the beginning of the file:
        alias scd0 sr_mod
        pre-install sg modprobe ide-scsi
        pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi

/etc/modules
  added 2 lines to the end:
        sr_mod
        sg

/etc/fstab
  added the entry:
        /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto
codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,nosuid,ro,umask=0,users,nodev 0 0

/dev/sg0  - deleted this link and re-created it pointing to the correct device for the
cd writer.

/etc/lilo.conf
  append line:
        append="mem=2048M devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi"

After running lilo and rebooting the system,  cdrecord -scanbus was able to find the
cd writer and all "cdrom" accesses to /dev/scd0 work correctly.

Someone probably needs to archive this fix as I suspect that others will encounter the
same problem.