Maybe it's now solved, but just in case...

I got my backup/recovery solved by:

* Making the backup file:
find /directory_to_start_backup_from -xdev | grep -v
"/path_not_to_backup/" | cpio -o -H crc | bzip2 -9 -k >
compressed_backup_file.cpio.bz2

* Restoring backup (to current directory):
bunzip2 -kc compressed_backup_file.cpio.bz2 | cpio -idmu
--no-absolute-filenames

* Listing files in backup file:
bunzip2 -kc compressed_backup_file.cpio.bz2 | cpio -itv

You can use split to write to CDROM if back_file is too big (for a 80min
CD):
split -b 680000000 compressed_backup_file.cpio.bz2
And getting then back is as easy as:
cat file1 file2 ... fileN > compressed_backup_file.cpio.bz2

Also incremental backup is easy this way:
1) Do touch /path_to_file/date_from_last_backup when you do a backup
2) To do the incremental one just do:
find /directory_to_start_backup_from -newer
/path_to_file/date_from_last_backup -xdev | grep -v
"/path_not_to_backup/" | cpio -o -H crc | bzip2 -9 -k >
compressed_backup_file.cpio.bz2

Long commands but easy (I think ;-))

Good luck!!

--
           Diego  Dominguez
              __/\__

Yahoo! Postales
Felicita las Navidades con las postales más
divertidas desde http://postales.yahoo.es