On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 13:35, Jason Snyder wrote:
> Hi,
> Between me, my brother, and one of my friends who have tried to install mdk
> 9.0, we have all failed to get mdk 9.0 to install and function properly on at
> least one of our computers.
>
> One computer that I tried to install mdk 9.0 on is a Mini-ITX system using a
> 800 MHz VIA C3 processor.  The motherboard does not have a floppy port (I
> think the chipset itself has a controller, but the board doesn't have the
> connectors for it), I didn't feel like buying an IDE based superdrive, I
> couldn't get USB Zip boot to work properly with mdk 9.0 (the motherboard BIOS
> supports USB Zip boot), mdk 9.0 does not have the alternate install image on
> CD #2 as mdk 8.2 does, so I was left with CD install.  The problem I came
> across with this is that instead of prompting for another CD to install more
> packages, it just errored out complaining that it couldn't find the package
> it wanted.  I tried going to the console and manually umounting the CD and
> mounting another CD, but I still couldn't get it to find packages.  I
> eventually gave up and just installed mdk 8.2.

And there is an answer! or rather two! one is in the errata section of
the mdk website at.  http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/errata.php3#viac3

The other method...(the one I used.) came from Todd.. and to qoute him.

When selected packages start to install select "details" to see what
package is being installed. When you see that glibc is installed switch
to the console (CTRL ALT+F2) and remove the directory. Note that
/lib/i686 refers to the root of your installation, which will be mounted
somewhere under /tmp (I think).

I can verify that is under temp and that you do have about a minute or
so to remove or mv (standard commands) the i686 directory.  It worked
like a charm...

Problem is that you have an i586 cpu that gets recognized as an i686
that still has i486 arch characteristics.  *whew*  I will tell you that
once it does install it work a thousand percent better than 8.2 all
hardware is detected and I've had no problem with it so far.  Hardware
or software.

James