On Tuesday 28 January 2003 04:08 pm, Albert E. Whale, CISSP wrote:
> Praedor Tempus Atrebates wrote:
> >On Tuesday 28 January 2003 12:03 pm, Albert E. Whale, CISSP wrote:
> >>I am curious as to Which OS Version you encountered this?
> >[...]
> >
> >Really?  Perhaps another problem to chalk up to the many with 2.4.19 (and
> >higher) kernels?  I encountered this problem with Mandrake 9.0
> >kernel-2.4.19-2mdk, customized build.  I find I generally have to build my
> >own kernel to get wireless working properly regardless of version but
> > 2.4.19 and 2.4.20 have given me fits - problems with filesystem support
> > (both XFS and RieserFS) and usb primarily.  Supermount hasn't been too
> > much of a problem for me as yet.
[...]
> Are you indicating that 9.0 doesn't support anything other than ext2 or
> ext3?  If so, Where's the BEEF?  Do you have any Documentation available?
>
> I never got any answers from support either, must have been the Chapter
> 11 filing issues ..... Would like to get the 9.0 running on it, but I
> have no idea what will provide support for the ReiserFS filesystem.

I didn't have any problems booting up and running my system (sans wireless
lan) with the stock, prebuilt Mandrake 9.0 kernel.  Upon building my own
kernel (because I had to patch the kernel's hub.c to get wireless working) I
lost the ability to bootup - my system was 100% XFS.  Stock kernel, no
problem, custom kernel built with gcc 3.2, problem.  I then tried 2.4.20 from
Cooker.  Same thing only by that point I had decided to go to ReiserFS so I
could use a kernel NOW rather than at some future point where, presumably,
XFS support would be working again.  I built the 2.4.20 kernel without hitch
(using gcc 3.2 default) and rebooted.  Kernel panic, couldn't handle XFS.  I
went back to the stock 9.0 kernel and did some digging.  I then found that
there are "issues" with gcc3.x and XFS.  I then followed a suggestion to use
gcc2.96 and the problem went away with regards to the XFS issue.

I was having problems with the wireless device (WUSB11 v2.6) however and that
was a showstopper.  The problem was the kernel paging deal I mentioned.

The STOCK Mandrake 9.0 2.4.19 kernel that came with the install (precompiled)
was fine with regards to XFS, it was only when I tried to do what I always do
and rebuild my own kernel with the default 9.0 gcc (3.2) that things went
south.

I have gotten my WUSB11 working after much pulling of hair and gnashing of
teeth but I am not sure the kernel paging issue is really fixed or if it just
decided not to rear its head with my last restart.

praedor

--
Conservatives of all times are adventitious liars.
- Friedrich Nietzsche.