On Monday 03 February 2003 07:28 pm, Michael Holt wrote:
> 5:42pm, civileme mused:
> > Well google around and you can find scdbackup which is oriented toward
> > 650Mb disks.  And I have tested it to work on 9.0 with supermount
> > disabled, and a $25.95(US) CDRW drive which is rated 4x4x24  Even with
> > that, the drive barfs on CDRW media, even for blanking, with 9.0
> >
> > DO NOT USE CDRW media for this either--most of it is 650 and there are
> > MANY supposed CDRW drives which will not work with CDRW media of the more
> > modern flavor or insist on trying to treat all the CDRW media as 700Mb
> > capacity.
> >
> > Civileme
>
> Is this something mdk specific or is it just a feature not available to
> the linux community yet?  RW's have been out so long, I just assumed that
> the technology had been stablized by now.
>
> Thanks Civileme!  Mike

Umm, I just moved the Acer Drive to my son's computer (he uses the
unmentionable system in its latest incarnation) and it behaves the
same--choking on CDRW disks, so I imagine it is unresolved hardware issues
with the druive hardware and the brand of media (one style did not throttle
the drive)

So it aint even linux-specific....  Just one of those things that you never
know til you test.  I have a Wearnes 4x2x24 that works acceptably and a
no-name that does 700Mb media perfectly either CD-R or CDRW, but won't touch
650s at all and it is rated 40x12x48 (and that one made me a religious buyer
of very cheap CD-Rs cause backing up a 40G disk using it is not a wasted day)

as to the quality of drakbackup, I cannot speak because I have been using
scdbackup since 1999, but I do know that it works better with supermount
disabled.  (MOF, with supermount enabled, I can crash the kernel with a dd
from CD to floppy).  That might be the mandrake specific issue you seek.

Civileme