hi vatbier,

vatbier wrote:
civileme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The X66 is safe to use as you have described it.  What is dangerous is
overdriving.
hdparm -k1 -d1 -X66 /dev/hda      (66:UDMA2)
I guess you mean if I change the hard drive setting with
DataLifeGuard and then do "hdparm -d1 X69"  (69:UDMA5) that
this is dangerous, or if I try to set it to UDMA6 (:133Mhz)?
Mandrake 9.0 uses UDMA5 automatically (without program hdparm),
is this configured on booting are is it written at installation of
ML9.0 in some configuration file?
mdk9 does not use UDMA5 by default. Your HD/BIOS initalise themselves to what they consider to be the fastest stable speed and setttings etc

less /etc/sysconfig/harddisks

You can override what mdk9 has in that file to change stuff, default is often very slow.

What program in Mandrake 9.0 is responsible for this, or is it just
the kernel that figures out what the highest UDMA setting is?
man hdparm

Also, IIRC, DataLifeGuard phones home and gives you warning if your
drive is about to fail (and it works on non-WDs too).
DataLifeGuard is just an utility on a floppy disk, or does it
install a phone home program in Windows XP?

As for the variance of speed, consider this...
Ok, then I'll probably set it with hdparm to UDMA2.
Hm, where is the -k1 option for hdparm written to? man hdparm
doesn't talk about a configuration file.
it doesnt, you have to have it in /etc/sysconfg/hardisks or somewhere like /etc/rc.d/rc.local etc

a secondary cosmic ray is a significant noise source.  Not much charge
moves on those cables at the interface voltage in that time span.
"secondary cosmic ray": didn't know it was that delicate, how are
IDE-cables protected on the Space Station and what speed would they
have?
They dont use WD drives for sure :)) i bet they use extra CRC checks on all their comms too.

You can download an ATA66 disable utility (windows compatible) for your WD.
I think this utility is also on the DataLifeGuard floppy disk
dlgudma.exe - Data Lifeguard Ultra ATA Management
I'm not sure why are considering this program as it will never work on GNU/Linux or GNU/Wine.

Something else I wonder:

A lot of system files (e.g. /usr/bin/play) disappeared, they were cleared
because of corruption (bad mode,deleted/unused inode,illegal character
device,...).
Did the corruption occur with these messages in syslog:
"EXT3-fs error (device ide0(3,2)): ext3_new_block: Allocating block in
system zone - block = 294914" ? What do these messages mean?
Did you install with a search for badblocks?

e2fsck -f -c /dev/hdX can do it for you now, make sure you are in single user mode though and your HD is mounted ro.