If there is a jumper on the disk to reduce the size, try that (for testing), this might eliminate the possiblity that the drive is faulty. Although it works in win2k, have you done a surface scan there?

It really does sound like its the kernel thats the problem though, you could search google and also upgrade your kernel, its over 5 months since mdk9 kernel came out now.

JG

Wolf N. Paul wrote:
I am having trouble getting a 120G Maxtor 4G120J8 disk
working on my Mdk 9.0 system.

When I attach the drive and reboot, the boot hangs
indefinitely at the partition check, both when the disk
was virginal from the store, and now that I have created
a single large primary partition on it with Win2K.

If I append "hdh=noprobe" to the boot prompt, I can
boot the system, but the drive is not accessible.

If I specify the geometry the kernel reports for the
drive just before the partition check, like so:

    "hdh=14946,255,63 hdh=noprobe"

which corresponds to an example in the kernel source
Documents/ide.txt file, the kernel panics. The same thing
happens if I use the geometry values given in the spec
sheet for the drive on Maxtor's support web.

The first line of the panic message refers to a null pointer reference
at address 63, which makes me wonder whether the sectors parameter
of the geometry spec is getting misinterpreted.

Any hints? Any ideas?

Regards,

Wolf N. Paul
[EMAIL PROTECTED]