Anne Wilson grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> On Friday 28 Mar 2003 5:56 am, Jack Coates wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 21:27, David Guntner wrote:
> > > I've done a clean install of 9.1 on the machine which used to run 9.0.
> > > In 9.0, I had sound.  In 9.1, only silence.  No hardware has changed, so
> > > I'm kind-of hard pressed to figure out why I can't get any sound out of
> > > 9.1.
> >
> > if you run alsamixergui, are all the levels set to zero?
>
> Quote from Derek Jennings' post to newbie list:
>
> This time Mdk installed the Alsa sound driver instead of the usual OSS driver.
> It took me a while to realise that you have to use two mixers. Aumix has to
> be set before Kmix has any effect.  Both Aumix and Kmix default to 'mute'
> (Perhaps one day someone will do something about that)

Ugh.  Ok, I've tried running aumix and kmix, found nothing.  Tried to run
alsamixer, and got a message saying "function snd_ctl_open failed for
default: No such file or directory."  Whatever the heck *that's* supposed
to tell me.

Is there a package that I'm missing that I should install?  Should I just
uninstall the also related RPMs outright?

Why did Mandrake have to change the sound from something that worked to
something that seems to be giving many people (judging from some of the
comments) problems? :-)

Any ideas on how to proceed next?

                   --Dave
--