> I can make do assumptions about the systems of the end user... nor about
> their knowledge level.

I can understand that. The end user will just get the data and import
it into their favorite spreadsheet or what have you. And it's a given
that html is not something that is going to come into a
spreadsheet. Yet what I don't understand is a need for it to do so -
why should there be an rtf for spreadsheets, as you put it?

The formatting (as I see it) should remain in the spreadsheet. The
data can be just brought in.

Are your users spreadsheet neophytes in that you can't assume they
will be able to (for instance) set column widths, decimals, and other
cell attributes and that the spreadsheet should look a certain way?