Bill Mullen grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Philip Webb wrote:
>
> > 030406 David Guntner wrote:
> > >
> > > One of your rc.d scripts sets the timezone (TZ) variable at boot time.
> >
> > seems not.
>
> It is probably based on the ZONE= setting in /etc/sysconfig/clock.

Ah, you're right.  Seems that Mandrake (and possibly other distributions?)
does that.  I'm used to the older UNIX way of doing it, which would use
$TZ.  The $TZ variable does still work for per-user use, though.  I.E., if
you're logged in as a regular user, you can set it to the timezone that
you're in (I.E., if you're remote from the box and logging in from a
different timezone, you can set TZ to the timezone that you're in, and when
you do a command that shows you a date, like "date" or "ls", the times
displayed will be in your local, $TZ set timezone). So that's what fooled
me into thinking that Linux was still doing it that way. :-)

                   --Dave
--
      David Guntner      GEnie: Just say NO!
 http://www.akaMail.com/pgpkey/davidg or key server