Hi Anne,

first thing to do - is to not boot into X...
So - The Failsafe Option is a first part.
Just - at the Lilo prompt - give: init 3
in - it should start the system without X.

The Problem - is that you most probably need to start with an empty
XF86Config-4 file - as the XFDrake programm takes the old one as template
(It assumes - what you have in there works already ...)

So - move that file to your Home-Directory, make sure there is no mode
XF86Config-4 in /etc/X11, and start XFDrake again. It should do the trick.

Cheers

PS: Now lets get back to this &*^%$% of Compile to have the CLE266 Via
Driver compiled into XFree to have the Hush-PC working with a decent
X-Display driver ...

        Joerg

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I want to put a lcd monitor onto my old box.  The refresh rate, as it
> was on the ancient monitor is too high for this, so it won't let me
> boot into x.  I tried failsafe + text mode, and tried to run XFdrake
> from the command line, but only got a blank screen.
>
> There must be some way to get to the monitor setup program.  How can I
> do it?
>
> Anne

| Joerg Mertin              :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (Home)|
| in Neuchâtel/Schweiz      :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                         (Alt1)|
| Stardust's LiNUX System   :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (Alt2)|
| PGP 2.6.3in Key on Demand :  Voice & Fax: +41(0)32 / 725 52 54       |
Home-Page: http://www.solsys.org