Sven,
It sounds like you need to recompile, and while doing so very carefully make
sure in xconfig the items for partitions, zip and IDE drives, and file
systems relating to what you want to do are enabled, or at least modules.
Read the help for each item, in order to make the correct selections. Also,
make sure Loadable module support is enabled at top of xconfig.

Are you using the ck3 patches? I found that the newest big one (for 2.4.21)
with everything included in the same file caused problems, even though it
seemingly applied fine.

I had to do the smaller base ck3 preemptive, schedular, low-latency patch
first, and then add the other performance and supermount patches individually
to avoid problems.

Robert Crawford