After getting Mandrake 9.1 installed and getting my system back in order, I
sat down to do some debugging and discovered I couldn't.  Even for this
simple program:

t.c:
main()
{
        printf("hello world\n");
}

couldn't be run under the debugger:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] glenn]$ gdb t
GNU gdb 5.3-22mdk (Mandrake Linux)
This GDB was configured as "i586-mandrake-linux-gnu"...
(gdb) r
Starting program: /home/glenn/t
Warning:
Cannot insert breakpoint -2.
Error accessing memory address 0x4000af50: Input/output error.
The same program may be running in another process.

I checked and this happens on 3 of 4 machines on which I installed MDK 9.1.
Why it works on the one machine is beyond me.  It has an Athlon processor,
but I have another machine with an Athlon on which it doesn't work, and other
with an Intel Celeron and Pentium II on which it doesn't work.

What gives?

There was an earlier note on 6/13 from Bryan Whitehead noting the same thing
(Subject: [expert] kernel bug still not fixed).

Did the security fix to ptrace break debugging?

If this is a bug in the kernel code, it's unbelievable that it should take
more than a day for a fix to be posted...

Thanks in advance for any information!