Hey,

As I understand, these martian sources appear when a network address that doesn't belong to the subnet on any of your interfaces, starts broadcasting it's packets around. For example if you have the following interfaces:

eth0: 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
ppp0: public_ip 255.255.255.255
lo: 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

and you hook up a PC, or in your case a printer with address: 192.168.0.9 to your eth0 subnet. If any sort of packets are broadcast from this PC/printer you'll get "martians" in your logfiles, since 192.168.0.9 doesn't belong to the 10.0.0.1 subnet. It doesn't matter that practically the 192.168.0.9 address isn't reachable, any packets it puts out on the network cause "martians".

To get rid of it and still be able to reach your printer, create a virtual interface eth0:0 with subnet 192.168.0.0/24 (this will create an automatic route for you) and you should be able to get rid of "martians" and reach your printer.

That is one case that I've found when "martians" appear, there may be other conditions, in the worst case "rgrep -r -i martian /usr/src/linux" :)

Regards, Sadin