Somebody scribbled about [expert] 9.2 cooker printing 'boxes'
>This seems only to apply to 9.2 (cooker) and although the test pages
>through cups admin print out good looking test pages, printing from
>within kmail (for instance) print out just a number of small boxes.

after another update, it seems that it might be kmail - specific. I
noticed other printer sources (mozilla, for instance) work ok. Maybe it's
missing fonts? A test doc where I used 48-point adventure in kword came
up ok except boxes for that one particular font, and that's only oh the
printer, not on the screen.