On Tuesday 08 Jul 2003 4:57 am, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> On Monday 07 July 2003 03:49 pm, James Sparenberg wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 16:13, Pierre Fortin wrote:
> > > Just a heads up...
> > >
> > > I have not fully analyzed this; but my HP 5550 (USB2.0)
> > > printers will not work if connected to a USB/PCMCIA port.  My
> > > camera, external HDs, etc, all work off the SIIG USB PCMCIA
> > > 4-port hub; but the printers will only work if connected to the
> > > laptop's builtin USB1.1 port.
> > >
> > > CUPS reports "Unable to open USB device
> > > "usb://hp/deskjet%205550": No such device", even after redoing
> > > the printer setup via http://localhost:631
> > >
> > > Just moving the cable from the PCMCIA to the builtin port
> > > allows queued jobs to print.
> >
> > Pierre,
> >
> >    Is it possible.. (and this is a real stab in the dark.) that
> > the printer doesn't recognize the hub as a real USB port?  So it
> > doesn't "activate".  I've got an Epson that does that no matter
> > what OS is on the other end.  When I boot the box with the
> > printer connected to the USB hub... I don't get all of the
> > chugging and churning I normally get when it's directly
> > connected.  We got rid of the hub plugged it in directly and ...
> > poof it works. Go figure.
> >
> > James
>
> I recall reading that some external USB hubs are not powered, and
> therefore are only usable with passive devices. That might explain
> James' problem, but probably not Pierre's.
> -- cmg

I use a powered external hub with my DeskJet 990Cxi, and Mdk finds it
and prints without problem.  Windows, however, will not install the
printer if it is on the hub.  I have to plug in to a direct port to
install, after which it prints from the hub - which only proves that
usb is an utter mystery:-(

Anne