On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 04:49, Joerg Mertin wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm trying to compile some tools using the wireless Extensions etc. However -
> everything I compile always bails out on the ethtool.h include file.
> Anyone noticed this before ?
>
> Note - I'm using the  kernel-source-2.4.21-0.18mdk - but recompiled to use the
> C3 Nemiah CPU. No patches applied - except that I use the Alsa-0.9.4 drivers
> on the system - which should not affect any compiling though. May it be a
> gcc-version problem ? The ethtool.h file is the same for gcc and the kernel
> (checked using diff).
>
> Thx for any hint.
>
> Here the output:
>
> g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/lib/qt3/include -I/usr/X11R6/include
> -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT  -D_REENTRANT  -Wnon-virtual-dtor -Wno-long-long
> -Wbad-function-cast -Wundef -Wall -pedantic -W -Wpointer-arith
> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wwrite-strings -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE
> -Wcast-align -Wconversion -O2 -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new  -c -o wwidget.o
> `test -f 'wwidget.cpp' || echo './'`wwidget.cpp
> In file included from /usr/include/linux/wireless.h:75,
>                  from wcard.h:34,
>                  from wwidget.h:32,
>                  from wwidget.cpp:18:
> /usr/include/linux/ethtool.h:18: 'u32' is used as a type, but is not defined
> as a type.

Joerg,

   Just for fun I threw your error message above into google.  It came
back with one hit, and it is related to, get this, Mandrake 9.1 and
wireless.  Specifically covering the amtel drivers in this authors
case.

http://iprserv.jura.uni-leipzig.de/pipermail/atmel-wlan-usb/2003-April/001564.html

is the link, for the start of the thread.  Apparently the ethtool.h
include line is dispensable and can just be commented out (the thread
provides a link to this info.) and will let you carry on from there.

James