On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 01:40, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 03:07, James Sparenberg wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 09:45, Richard Bown wrote:
> > > Hi all
> > > I did send this in when the server was down so it looks like it got
> > > lost.
> > >
> > > My cable connection is not as good as it could be, so called out the
> > > cable guys and to my horror, his win98 laptop downloaded faster than
> > > this machine, My current NIC is a realtek 8139, and I always thought
>
> > > a linux machine would floor a poxy winyuk machine. What NICs are known
> > > to work well , ie fast..
> >
> > In testing I've learned to love 3c905's and the Intel p100's ...
>

> Can you tell me which ones had the best performance out of all of them,
> without compromising anything. ?
>
> 10/100 class, that is.
>
> LX

For speed.  The pro100 edged out the 3c905 (especially when using
multiple NICS to a single network as in for example a web server.) by
about 2 or 3 percent.  For reliability.  I've yet to have either one
fail (over the last 4 years.) so I don't have a curve on that.  In my
old firewall some testing I did with them showed on a 100mb network the
3com had a true 42mb throughput, the pro100 about 43-44mb and a linksys
about 32mb.  One note, It also is affected by driver quality.  One
advantage afforded winders.  The authors of the driver has access to
data OSS authors often don't, but in the case of these cards I'd say
it's pretty even.  (anyone need a collection of bad netgear and linksys
nics?)

James