experts,

I'm trying to run this script I got out of "O'reilly's LINUX SERVER HACKS"

#! /usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
$|++;

my $host=' /bin/hostname';
chomp $host;

while(1) {open(LOAD,"/proc/loadavg") ||die "couldn't open /proc/loadavg:
$!\n";

my @load=split(/ /,<LOAD>);
CLOSE(LOAD);

print "\033]0;";
print "$host: $load[0] $load[1] $load[2] at", scalar(localtime);
print "\007";

sleep 2;
}

I copied it line for line, and when I tried to run it I got the message:

Bareword "LOAD" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at ./tl line 11.
Execution of ./tl aborted due to compilation errors.

If anyone is using this book or is reading in now, this script is on page
120~121.
hack #59 constant load average display in the tilebar.

Question: what do I have to change to make this script work? help plz.

P.S.  I've NEVER programmed before...NEVER!
TIA...

--

Gavin
c/o GES