FWIW, this is what i had to do on my 1st install of 9.1 (2nd worked ok):

0. Run and save kmix

1. Run the aumix gui (i just type aumix at the cl)
2. Under Mute, "Mute All" is checked (despite the sliders being
non-zero).
    Click "Mute All" to uncheck it   (this will actually mute all:
             the sliders all go to zero)
3. Now go back and reselect mute all  (the sliders then all go back to
             non-zero values)
4. Save settings

5. Sound should now work, try  alsamixergui if not

IF you're running ALSA drivers:

after installing the alsa-utils, i ran alsactl store (as root)
and rebooted.  Sound worked on bootup w/o fiddling...

eric