> This sounds exactly as you describe...  collisions!  They are due to a
> number of reasons; but some things to check:
>
> 1. Bypass the hub with a direct (rolled) cable.  If this works (check
> collisions in ifconfig), then replace your hub with a switch which doesn't
> suffer from the following...  Note: some "hubs" are really switches...  A
> real hub is a cheap buffered repeater -- the buffer is rather small (acts
> like an "elastic buffer"); it "snaps" when a sending NIC's crystal is out
> of specs -- the snap results in the hub sending a "jam" (collision) back
> to the sending NIC.  Bypassing the hub eliminates the hub's elastic
> buffer.  I'm surprised you're able to send that much data if this is the
> problem though...

Well the hub I use a LinkSys NH-105 connects all the machines on the network,
our DSL router, my Linux box, our File server, and my wife's laptop.

I have not recently checked my wife's laptop, but the only time that I see
these collisions is between my box and the file server. And yes, I did get
650Mb to pass after rebooting the server.

> 2. Near end collisions:  are your cables direct, or running through
> hookups around the house?  Poor connections and not enough twists in the
> pairs or poor cable at the sending end can result in near-end collisions
> due to crosstalk from sending signal back into sender's receiver circuitry
> -- hearing itself.
We just moved, and right now all connections with the hub to machines are less
than 10 feet. So I don't think there is a problem there, but maybe the hub to
FS cable is bad, it has gotten a bit of strain, as I forget it is only 3 feet
long.

> 3. If your NIC is an Intel eepro10, consider trying something else...  I
> had this very problem when transferring large files...  interestingly, the
> apparently random failures were at exactly the same point on any specific
> file.

No I run a mixture of 3Com 3C509  and D-Link RTL 8139 using the 8139too
driver.

> 4. If you're using coax, you may have termination problems (no need to
> discuss now unless you have coax).

Nope, CAT-5e.

I will check the cables and the hub as you say, and replace as needed,
upgrading the hub if needed.

Rob
--

Linux: For the people, by the people.