From: Vincent Danen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 02 August 2003 18:15
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] Kernel Update - NVIDIA Driver Problem

On Fri Aug 01, 2003 at 06:08:17PM -0500, Jeffrey Litterick wrote:

> I have just installed Mandrake 9.1 on a computer with a Geforce 4.  I am
or
> should say was using the standard NVdriver that was installed
automatically
> with Mandrake 9.1.
>
> When I first installed Mandrake I had the same problem then was I do with
> the secure kernel but the enterprise kernel worked just fine. So I just
> changed my default kernel to the enterprise one.
>
> The problem is that I used RPMDrake to update my kernel to the new .25
> versions which also fixed a problem I had with ipsec not starting on
> startup.  But after the update I could no longer start the X server.
> Because the NVdriver kernel module was not being loaded.  I checked the
> modules.conf and modules file and everything is correct but a modprobe
> returned with a "Could not find file" and lsof showed that it was not
being
> loaded.
>
> Doing a file search I found that the NVdriver.o.gz was only in the old .13
> enterprise kernel module directory and was not in the new updated kernels
> module file directory. So I first I tried to just copy the driver over and
> run a depmod -a but it came back with unresolved symbols.  Then modprobe
> could find the file but of course would not load it because of the
> unresolved symbols.

You had the binary driver for nvidia installed.  I did build a new one and
it should be on Club (I didn't put it there, but asked someone else to).  I
just assumed it would be there.  If it isn't, I can email the webmaster
again and get him to put it up.

I'm on holidays right now, still reading mail, but anything that requires
work will have to wait till I get back.  =)

What you can also try is to use the "nv" driver for X (I believe that's it).
That's the non-binary/commercial version of the driver, and should work
although you likely won't get 3D or acceleration.  Since none of that
matters to me, and since I dislike the binary drivers, I use the nv driver
instead of the one nvidia closed.

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
Online Security Resource Book; http://linsec.ca/