I have been trying to get iptables set up on my gateway machine, but it isn't
working like I think it should.  I have the following entry in the
rc.firewall script to block incoming SYN packets:

EXT_IF="ppp0"
IPTABLES="//sbin/iptables"
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $EXT_IF -p tcp ! --syn -j ACCEPT

yet ethereal shows these getting through:

    Source port: 1302 (1302)
    Destination port: 135 (135)
    Sequence number: 2684291305
    Header length: 28 bytes
    Flags: 0x0002 (SYN)
        0... .... = Congestion Window Reduced (CWR): Not set
        .0.. .... = ECN-Echo: Not set
        ..0. .... = Urgent: Not set
        ...0 .... = Acknowledgment: Not set
        .... 0... = Push: Not set
        .... .0.. = Reset: Not set
        .... ..1. = Syn: Set
        .... ...0 = Fin: Not set

I also have the following:

$IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i $EXT_IF -p tcp --dport 135 -s 0.0.0.0/0 -j DROP

which should block packets detined for port 135, but also seems ineffective.
What might be the problem?  The above is just a snippet from the rc.firewall
script.  I can post it in its entirety if that would help.

--
Thomas K. Gamble
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

 20:45:47 up 3 days, 11:00,  5 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.07