I have embarked myself in a search for such things (with the only drawback -
so far - consisting of incompatibilities between the DVDs I create, and older
DVD readers (I can read them fine on my DVD burner)) ... mainly for the
purpose of archiving stuff in Linux. I know you have asked for -R and -RW,
and I am pretty sure you'll get plenty of info about cdrecord, but here are
some links for "+" ones ... just in case ... as I collected them while
looking for DVD burning solutions ...

http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/
http://www.dvdplusrw.org/
http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/gazette/issue83/stoddard.html