On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Richard Urwin wrote:

> On Sunday 07 Sep 2003 7:02 pm, Greg Meyer wrote:
> >
> > Postfix will make a direct smtp connection with the recipient's mail
> > server and you can use it to send without using it to receive, in fact
> > that is what I am doing right now.  This message was delivered to the
> > list via postfix running on my machine, and you don't need a domain
> > name for that.  The only problem with this is that some isp's block
> > smtp port 25 and require you to use their mail servers instead in an
> > effort to block spammers.
>
> Blocking port 25 only affects incoming mail. If you use POP3 to receive
> then it wont affect you.

Untrue. Some ISPs block outbound port 25 to any systems other than their
own SMTP servers. This will prevent direct mail delivery by Postfix, and
require the use of the ISP's server as a relay host, or a tunneling setup
via another host outside of the provider's network.

We have the recent innovation in Wincrap viruses, self-contained SMTP
agents, to thank for this development, IMHO. While spammers have been an
increasing burden on ISPs, no doubt, few Windoze users had been running
mail servers that they could co-opt, and spam was therefore more of an
inbound problem for the vast majority of operators; now that each new
virus-attacked host becomes a direct spam source as well - as part and
parcel of the infection process - some ISPs are becoming more proactive in
enforcing their AUP/TOS by blocking outbound 25; as this new policy *does*
somewhat inhibit the spread of the viruses in question, the ISPs are not
getting a lot of flak over it from the bulk of their client base, either.

--
Bill Mullen   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   MA, USA   RLU #270075   MDK 8.1 & 9.0
"Giving money and power to the government is like giving whiskey and