On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 03:31 am, Norman Zhang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >> Sorry, if I was not precise enough. All entries above Bookmarks on the
> >> KDE menu are gone (e.g., Application, Configuration, Documentation,
> >> Networking, Terminals, ..., etc.). And the shortcuts that I created on
> >> the toolbar now only displays the KDE gear icon. If I click on it, it
> >> would say the serivce not found. (e.g., Could not finnd service
> >> Terminal/kconsle.desktop). Would someone please tell me how to recover
> >> the settings?
> >
> > That sounds strange, I have lost the /home icon use in Red Hat in panel,
> > menu and on the desktop and could only get it through the run command in
> > the menu and type /home  to have it come up. But everything showed that
> > it was right in kmenuedit. You could try that.
> >
> > You might try Menudrake as well, they might still be there? Strange
> > indeed.
>
> I tried kmenuedit and menudrake in the console. kmenuedit does show any
> entries. But menudrake has the regular application groups and shortcuts
> showing on the left pane. So it is safe to add them to the system menu
> again? I'm doing cautiously as this is my working file server 8( Please
> advise.
>
> Regards,
> Norman

.............Nothing strange to me !!!

I went through 3 months of constantly losing the Apps menu, and fixing it,
until I found the culprit - or at least enough of the culprits to fix the
issue.....

Quick fix:

log out of Xwindows
cd ~
mv .kde kdestuffed (or whatever epiphet feels good!)
startx

You will then have a generic, first time log in again

Now log out of Xwindows and start copying stuff selectively from the old
kdestuffed to the newly created .kde.

Stuff you most probably want lives in the share folder, and its subfolders
including the kmail resources ad configs, knode, etc etc.

Remember to copy the resources and configs, so that if the thing goes belly up
again, you can just erase the whole .kde folder and start again.

In my case, I was using xscreensaver as my screensaver (duh!) by disabling the
inbuilt kde saver, (cause the random module never worked for me) by making a
link in the .kde/Autostart directory. Once I had recreated all my kde
settings and left this out, all is well with the menus again!!

hth
--
 john in sydney
 Mandrake Linux 9.1, Kernel version: 2.4.21-0.25mdk