On Wednesday 10 September 2003 11:06 am, Vincent Chen wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Recently, I bought a CDR. While burning CD using
> xcdroast at 48x, I can barely move my mouse or do
> anything else. It is still very smooth burning cd and
> surfing net under windows 2000. How should I tune my
> mandrake 9.0 for better performance?
>

> Thanks,

Is it IDE or SCSI? If SCSI, I'm surpised. I have SCSI here and can do darn
near *anything* while burning.

If its IDE, then you probably don't have DMA turned on for it. If you don't
have hdparm installed, do it. Then do a "man hdparm" for full details but
what you are trying to do first is make sure DMA is turned on so as root:

hdparm /dev/hdx (where x is the letter assigned to your CDR. If your hard
drive is /dev/hda, then your CDR should be /dev/hdc)

You don't have the hard drive and burner on the same IDE channel do you? It
should be separate, BTW.

Now you should have a listing of what your CDR is doing, look for

using_dma = 0 (its off)

or

using_dma = 1 (its on)

If its off, still as root, go to /etc/sysconfig/. Make another copy of the
file harddisks and name it "harddiskhdc" (or whatever your CDR is). Now edit
this file. Note the entry for DMA usage. Just turn it on and save it. DMA
should now be enabled for your CDR.

I'm not sure if you have to reboot for this change to take effect. You could
use hdparm to turn DMA on for your CDR until you do reboot.

BTW, you might want to use hdparm on your hard drive to make sure your getting
optimal performance there as well.

HTHs! :-)

--

                                                          /\