On Wednesday, September 17, 2003, at 03:29 PM, Vincent Danen wrote:

I think all things considered, we aren't that slow. If you're defining slow
by a few hours, shame on you, if you're defining it by a few days, shame on
me.

I think we're fairly close to the other big players when it comes to the big
updates.

And, also, keep in mind that RH and SuSE both employ about a half dozen
security folks and, IIRC, gentoo doesn't have to worry about compiling for a
number of different versions. Contrary to popular opinion, it *does* take
time to properly compile and test packages on each supported platform.

We also don't run our own server for updates so we have to wait for
mirroring... RH can put the packages up and announce it that minute, we have
to wait at least 1-2hrs before announcing or I get flooded with "you
announced it so where is it?" messages, just due to the mirroring process.

With all that in mind, I think this one-man operation is pretty damn speedy.

My hat's off to you. One person? This is impressive.

Avi