On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:10 pm, Terje Heen wrote:
> Thanks for the info James.
>
> I will try some more when I come home from work....
>
> Terje..
>
> James Sparenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 00:16, Terje Heen wrote:
> > Hi there all. (I did not get any avswer on the newbie list, so I hope
> > that you all forgive me that I'm trying on this list)
> > I am a totally newbie folks, and I have tried to install Mandrake 9.1
> > on a old compac Pentium server (Prosignia 500) with 160 Mb ram. The
> > problem is that Mandrake only detects 16Mb of ram for some reason all
> > thou the system counts 160Mb on POST. The memory consists of 16 Mb
> > onboard (soldered directly to the main board) and 72 pins simm for the
> > rest. I have tried the option by hitting F1 during startup and write
> > linux mem=160M but after some seconds Mandrake replies: Kernel Panic:
> > Unable to mount root fs on 01:03, and there it hangs.... I hope there
> > are someone who can help me with an advice what to do......
> >
> > In advance, thanks
>
> Terje,
>
> Well since it's a compaq .... using it as a target at a shooting
> range is an option (*grin*) I just spent 2 day and someone else spent 4
> more getting any os (ended up with RH9) on a Proliant server. Seems
> that Compaq likes to or liked neuter the BIOS on a lot of their boxes.

<Looks around to glare at the two silent HP Netservers, and one Compaq 3000
which does run Linux>

[lotsa SNIP]

http://www.cpqlinux.com/memory.html

 - look down the bottom of the page

You might also check if you can find a SmartStart CD for your machine, and
prep it for Linux (long shot, as this is usually more concerned with arrays
and partitions , in my experience)

--
 john in sydney
 Mandrake Linux 9.1, Kernel version: 2.4.21-0.25mdk