On Monday 29 September 2003 01:59 pm, me wrote:

> Thank you for the suggestion.
> Jack

Hi. I don't think I can offer a solution for your "undeletable file" but I
sure can sympathise. I have/had the same problem, only its a directory.

I'm using reiserfs everywhere. I had Kmail crash once, and since then, I've
not been able to use /home/darklord/Mail. I tried deleting it, it caused the
system to reboot. I tried deleting it as root, it caused the system to
reboot. Running "updatedb" caused the system to reboot. Anocron/cron running
(and I'm assuming thus updating the DB) caused it to reboot. I tried using a
rescue disk and mounting the partition then deleting it, caused the system to
reboot. I tried deleting the inodes - operation not permitted. I tried
dropping to and/or booting into single user mode and deleting it - caused the
system to reboot.

So here is what I finally did:

I was able (go figure!!!) to "mv Mail .Mail-old". Then, I set the
slocate/updatedb conf file to ignore my /home/darklord stuff.
I turned Anacron off, and run the "updatedb" command when ever it reminds me
that more than 8 days have passed. I reran Kmail and it setup a new Mail
directory in /home/darklord and its been fine since.

Fortunately for me, I've got an 80 gig hard drive, so the space taken by
.Mail-old doesn't hurt.

I've been waiting to install v9.2 so I format/partition/frag everything on my
hard drive, and send .Mail-old to Hell <grin>. I've already backed up
everything pertinent.

Good luck.

--

                                                          /\