On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, HaywireMac wrote:

> I booted from the Morphix CD to try it out before I sent it off to
> someone as a tool to promote Linux. *Supposedly* it will not alter your
> existing system, but I have found out the hard way that this is not the
> case.

Yes, it is. As you yourself have determined, your configuration files have
not changed one bit - how could they, if you never even mounted the disk
read/write? The question is, were those settings doing properly what you
thought they were doing properly *before* you loaded Morphix?

> Now my login has changed from my machine name, Node1, to "morphix",
> though I have checked /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network and neither
> have been altered.

That's your hostname (your "login" is your username). For whatever reason,
you are allowing your hostname to be set by the DHCP server from which you
get your IP address, and the last system your DHCP server communicated
with through that NIC was Morphix; since Mandrake isn't telling it any
different, it does not know that you're not *still* running Morphix.

Set your FQDN hostname explicitly in your "/etc/sysconfig/network" file,
where it belongs; the domain portion can be real or made-up, as needed,
but to be a FQDN it needs separate host/domain segments (i.e., >0 "dots"):

HOSTNAME=host.domain.name
DOMAINNAME=domain.name

While you're there, add a parallel entry to the HOSTNAME line, like so:

DHCP_HOSTNAME=host.domain.name

This should reset the entry on your DHCP server, just like Morphix did.

Also, edit the "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX" file for the
interface on which you use DHCP, and add this line to what's there:

NEEDHOSTNAME=""

This will prevent the changing of your hostname during DHCP negotiations.

> The biggest problem is that my X server config has somehow been altered,
> I'm assuming, because I can no longer start any WM or DE except KDE (and
> you all know how I feel about that).

Your X config hasn't changed, either. See above and below.

> My XF86Config-4 is unchanged, so I do not know where to go from here in
> order to get my system back the way it was.

Sort out the hostname and DHCP properly, the rest should straighten out.
You'll need to restart both the network service and X (in that order).
Remember, merely logging out does not restart X; Ctrl-Alt-Backspace or a
restart of the "dm" service (or a reboot, I suppose <g>) are required.

> I can assure you I will *not* be recommending this to *anyone* to try
> out Linux...

Why not? :)

--
Bill Mullen   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   MA, USA   RLU #270075   MDK 8.1 & 9.0
"You've got the brain of a four-year-old boy, and I'll bet he was glad