Actually, I do own my domains.  I have been trying to get email from my
postfix to be <user>@ravenhome.net instead of the
<user>@localhost.ravenhome.net but apparently in trying to fix this one
simple thing, it prevented my system from working properly.  I THINK I have
it fixed (we'll see - if this message gets through then I THINK I'm set).

praedor

On Tuesday 14 October 2003 08:21 pm, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 October 2003 09:14 pm, Praedor Tempus wrote:
> > A little more info from my syslog, showing what
> > happens when I try a test
> > message to myself (to my yahoo account):
> >
> > Oct 14 21:07:50 stonekeep postfix/smtp[3396]:
> > 208C882E:
> > to=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, relay=none, delay=3849,
> > status=deferred (connect to
> > mx4.mail.yahoo.com[66.218.86.253]: Network is
> > unreachable)
> > Oct 14 21:07:50 stonekeep postfix/smtp[3398]: connect
> > mx2.mail.yahoo.com[64.156.215.6]: Connection timed out
> > (port 25)
> > Oct 14 21:07:50 stonekeep postfix/smtp[3398]: connect
> > mx1.mail.yahoo.com[64.156.215.5]: Network is
> > unreachable (port 25)
> >
> > What's with the timeouts?  I get the same thing for
> > messages sent from my
> > local box to the expert list.  I can only send
> > messages now if I go to the
> > yahoo web interface.  Local-sent messages timeout in
> > every single case as
> > above so I end up with a growing deferred mail list.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Actually, I am surprised that Yahoo was allowing direct to MX mail at all
> on their networks, most ISP's stopped allowing that due to spammers a few
> years ago.
>
> If I had to guess, I would guess that they are dropping your packets
> because you are coming in from an external network and they basically don't
> recognize you as an authorized mail server.  I am assuming that you don't
> own your own domain and have an MX record for said domain.  Please correct
> me if I am wrong.

- --
I think a case can be made that faith is one of the world's great evils,
comparable to the smallpox virus but harder to eradicate. Faith, being
belief that isn't based on evidence, is the principal vice of any religion.
- --Richard Dawkins
Key fingerprint = D6F9 8682 2257 2871 10C6  DB92 6F50 8BBA B100 EB15