On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 20:27, Eric Huff wrote:
> > > I don't understand how she gets them on mozilla. i thought
> > > mozilla was smart enough not to run stuff w/o permission?
> > >
> > > What are the virii taking advantage of?  Is it an html issue?
> >
> > There are virii that use Java, Javascript, Flash, you name it, and
> > then there's the evil code masquerading as something innocuous.
> > The issue here is architectural -- the OS bases execution
> > decisions on nothing more than the file name suffix, then executes
> > code with full privileges to do whatever it wants. Mozilla on
> > Windows is better than IE on Windows, but it's still building
> > castles in a swamp.
>
> But why is the OS running attachments in an email w/o the user
> saying so?
>
> Anne said her daughter wasn't clicking on them. Even that they had
> caused problems before she heard from the antivirus prog.
>
> Sorry if i sound daft.  Just trying to wrap my head around this...
>
> eric

Mozilla, Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Scripts and Plugins, she's
probably got them enabled for mail and news reader. If that isn't
enabled, then they shouldn't be able to do anything, but if it is
enabled then preview pane will be enough to launch Bad Things(TM).
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...