On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 04:14, James Sparenberg wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 15:02, Richard Bown wrote:
> > Hi
> > this is minor but damn annoying
> >
> > After trying to print a jpeg from  gimp-1.2.5-6mdk to an Epson C82
> > printer using CUPS, instead of a nice piccy of a swiss steam engine I
> > got
> > 1 line of about 20 characters mix of german, greek , math symbols.
> >
> > on page after page after page.
> > Flushed the printer queue....no change
> > removed printer for config.....no change
> > disconnected the printer......no change
> > power cycled the printer.... eventually stops
> > reconnected the printer to PC..... it starts again  !!!!!!!
> > reboot the PC  ....its still going
> > power down the pc  ....it stopped
> >

> > reconfigure the printer in CUPs
> > and print a test page.....working
> > Thats the first time I've ever seen that..
> > OK it may be a coincidence that 9.2 is involved as the other factor is
> > the new kernel 2.4.22
> >
> > has anyone seen similar  ???
> >
> > Richard
>
> One question.  How many different "drivers" did drakprint have for your
> printer.  One option could be to try one of the other ones.  If this
> doesn't work..... bugs.mandrakesoft.com is your friend. *grin*
>
> James

Just checked there are now only 2 drivers for the Epson C82
the one I was using CUPS +GIMP
and ghostscript + gimp, Ive now changed to the latter, and wait see if
it happens again.
This does look like a wayward process, as once the printer is removed
from the config it should stop , but this does'nt, it just keeps spew
ing out of the parport... maybe worth trying the printer on the USB
port.
I does mean I have to watch whats being printed, cant just send it
remotely and trust..

else you end up with as much paper as you loaded all with a quarter line
of garbage on the top of each sheet.
Whats really strange is that rebooting dos'nt stop it onlt power down..

Richard

--
Richard Bown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>