Time to stick my oar in !

A few facts as satellite coms are above 1 GHz, there will be no effect
on them

I'll explain why

the increase in magnetic flux caused by a solar flare has several effect
1. it changes the properties of the ionosphere, which short wave comms
relies on , hence the short wave black out.
2. It increases to chance of a low latitude radio aurora.
A radio aurora will cause disruption due to the reflective properties of
the plasma curtain.
Frequencies up to 1GHz can be reflected off these, or if the curtain is
between the receiver and the transmitter the signal will become very
distorted.
A reflected signal on its own can be coped with, but a reflected signal
off the auroral curtain will introduce doppler shift.
As the curtain is not solid , but of charged particles and moving the
rate of doppler shift is not constant and becomes the sum of all the
shifts.
AM based transmission are very susceptible to this this includes TV
transmissions and AM radio.
FM transmissions are less susceptible but are still effected.
As the amont of doppler shift is randomised the tonal quality of speech
on a AM transmission will sound like a whisper.
TV pictures will be effected but not dramatically.
As for mobile phones, no effect as these are all short range comms and
are all above 800MHz and use either gMSK or WBCDMA.
Right time to stop boring the list
Richard

--
Richard Bown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>