On Sun, 26 Oct 2003, Michael Holt wrote:

> Iīve got another msec question.  I was working on a different
> computer  on my lan and hadnīt put itīs id in my hosts file on my
> server yet.  I was lazy and didnīt feel like getting on a system
> which had access (for ssh that is) so I was trying different toys
> to see which had access.  I couldnīt get on user accounts using
> ftp, or ssh, etc, but then I tried telnet and got right in.  I
> though, īhmm, thatīs odd...ī

I don't run telnet (naturally <g>), but I'd guess that access to it is
probably controlled by xinetd, rather than by /etc/hosts.allow. If that's
the case, you'll have an /etc/xinetd.d/telnet[d] file where this sort of
thing can be configured. After you've made any changes to that file, the
xinetd service would need to be restarted, for those changes to "take".

> Iīm also able to get in using my domain name - which Iīm not able
> to do using ssh.  Iīm confused; why can I telnet get right in but
> ssh is blocked?  I know the obvious answer - remove telnet from
> the server - but I would like more information about this before
> removing the symptom.

I usually need to add a line like this to /etc/hosts.allow:

sshd : ALL

Or, alternatively, to limit access to only coming from the LAN:

sshd : 192.168.0.

Note the trailing dot. That syntax translates to "192.168.0.*".

Be sure to "urpme telnet-server" sometime soon, though! ;)

HTH!

--
Bill Mullen   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   MA, USA   RLU #270075   MDK 8.1 & 9.0
"Microsoft has a new version out, Windows XP, which according to every-