On Monday 27 October 2003 12:30 pm, JOHAM,DAVID (HP-Boise,ex1) wrote:
> Well, this may be a post better sent to the newbie lists but since I've
> come to respect the posters on this list, please allow me a little latitude
> to ask people who's opinion I value a simple question :)
>
> My wife wants a TV card for Christmas so she can take videos off of our
> analog camcorder and store them on our fileserver/webserver. I am *totally*
> clueless about tv cards (not watching much tv will do that to you) but I
> know getting one of these contraptions is very important to her since we
> have kids on the way.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good tv card that Mandrake 9.2 (she'll be upgrading
> soon) works "out of the box" with please? If so, I'd much appreciate it!

Well... you have asked two different questions in the same question. I like
Hauppauge hands down as a tv card. I wouldn't touch ATI's solutions for
anything. I'd stay far away. Quality sucks, service is even worse. You will
more than likely regret that one. Now... you mention you want a tv card and
then mention inputting a camcorder signal. There are cards designed
specifically for inputting a signal that may well be better than a standard
TV card. Just my 2 cents.