On Sat, 1 Nov 2003, HaywireMac wrote:

> Is it enough that I have a /boot dir but not a /boot partition? This is
> where my confusion is coming from, I guess...

Certainly, a /boot dir is fine. While there are valid reasons one might
want /boot to be on a separate partition (perhaps you use a RAID array for
the remainder of your storage, in which case keeping your /boot on a more
"vanilla" fstype such as ext2 can simplify your life a bit ... or, you may
feel that unmounting /boot after startup gives you an additional layer of
security for a WAN-exposed server box), it is by no means mandatory, and a
separate /boot is not the default arrangement on Mandrake distros, as most
users have no particular need of one.

HTH!

--
Bill Mullen   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   MA, USA   RLU #270075   MDK 8.1 & 9.0
"Microsoft has a new version out, Windows XP, which according to every-