On Sunday 09 Nov 2003 5:06 pm, Michael Noble wrote:
> Anne,
>
> Usually when a drive starts to make noise, it is caused by the
> bearings. I have had drives last for years while making noise.  But
> if this is a new drive (less than a year) you will probably be able
> to get it replaced.  But since you will have to deal with the
> manufacturer of the drive (which will mean down time) it would
> probably do best to go out and purchase another drive replace the
> noisy drive and then get it replaced.  Once replaced, you will have
> a spare drive for future use.

The odd thing is, it's for short periods, just a few times a day.

Thanks to all for comments/suggestions.  This is really bad timing for
me, as I have so many commitments over the next few days, but I don't
think I should ignore this.  I'll fit it all in as best I can.

> For the copy, I would suggest dd rather than cp.

OK - I'll RTFMP <g>

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302