Yes, I know lyx is not WYSIWYG and that it is advertised as the ridiculous
WYSIWYM (what you see is what you mean).  In point of fact, it is the result
of being stuck working with Latex via a GUI.  It does a lot to remove the
need of learning an entire programing language (LaTex) just to produce
documents.  That said, I merely lament the fact that I am forced to use Lyx,
with all its difficulty, because there is nothing else like it in the linux
world.  There is NOTHING like Word/Wordperfect + EndNote in linux - Lyx
contains it all in one package but you give up WYSIWYG and the ease that
comes with that.

I wrote my dissertation and other publications using Lyx.  It works well but
it is a royal pain in the ass to get it to do what you want.  It truly is a
weakness to not have any real idea about what your document will look like
until you either actually print it, or repeatedly generate previews with each
alteration/tweak.

I am pleased that OpenOffice is working on this but it is still some time off.
Until it is actually in the code, one is stuck with Lyx/Latex.  Ugh.

I am not proficient in Latex.  I don't have the time nor the interest in
learning a "programming" lanquage just to publish scientific results.  I
spend all day collecting data.  I simply cannot (nor can my colleagues) spend
the time needed to learn the intricacies of Latex.  This is unrealistic.
Word/Wordperfect/OpenOffice + EndNote removes the need for this on Windoze
and the Mac.

One day the equivalent functionality will be there for linux and future linux
users.

--
Faith is the very antithesis of reason, injudiciousness a critical component
of spiritual devotion.