On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:59:06 +0000
Richard Urwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scribed on electronic parchment:

> > dd is probably all anyone on Linux needs, but doesn't have menus and a
> > pretty face. The M$ware may be able to do conversion if the source and
> > destination don't have matching CHS? I use DFSee myself, used to use
> > Partition Magic, never Ghost or Drive Image.
>
> The big problem with dd is that when it's finished the destination drive
> will be identical to the source drive. If, like most people, you've bought
> a bigger disk, then that's hard luck. The partition table will show it as
> the same size as the old disk. I don't know where the actual full size of
> the disk is calculated so you might be able to add new partitions later,
> or you may not.
>
> I would always prefer to use tar (with the correct magic flags) to copy
> drives.
>
> (Ghost does handle different size disks, but does it handle your
> filesystem? And it does cost money, or did the last I heard.)

Partition Image only copies the actual data on the drive and either does a
.gz or .bz2 file.  It can break down files into multiple sizes, for example
I burn to CD's as a stable backup.  It will allow you to restore to
different partition sizes, provided there is enough room for the data.

And is it GPL free software.  URPMI partimage or http://www.partimage.org

Tim

--
 _
( ) ASCII ribbon campaign against HTML e-mail