Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:41:57 -0800 (PST)
From: "David E. Fox"
To: todd
Subject: hijack cont.
        version=2.60

Todd:

I thought I'd mail you privately on a couple of things;

* because of various blacklists I cannot post to the lists and
  such. I'm still listed in MAPS. I am trying to get them to
  de list me.

* After going back and forth with LX (my mail bounces to him,
  natch) it seems clear that an open proxy was used - a
  vulnerability in apache mod-proxy, to be specific. After
  reviewing the logs, I have seen a large number of GETs
  in /var/log/httpd/*.log with verrrrrrrrrrrrry long
  pathnames and/or requests to xxx.xxx.xxx:25. I think that
  is how they got in.

* In order to circumvent, I have installed portsentry (why isn't
  this included any more with Mandrake??!??!?) and got chkrootkit.
  Chkrootkit reports everything OK, and portsentry has managed
  to block a fair number of IPs so far.

* LX told me this is on bugtraq. Apparently a vulnerability
  exists in apache mod-proxy -- this was reported with plain
  vanilla apache (not apache2) in June of this year. Mandrake
  probably needs to ensure that users don't install apache2
  components unless and until they really need them (and I
  admit I probably installed too much). I have removed apache2,
  and installed just the bare bones functionality (2 rpms vs.
  five or six).

Todd - if you can forward this to expert I would *really* appreciate
it. I hope my mail doesn't bounce :(

- ----- End forwarded message -----

- --
Blue skies...   Todd      Public key: http://www.mrball.net/todd.asc
<scandal> cannonball: you gonna wear your ferengi ears? :)
<Morph> scandal: everyone knows its the year of the Romulan..*slap*
<scandal> trust me to show up unfashionably dressed to a scifi convention
Linux kernel 2.4.22-12.tmb.1mdk   2 users,  load average: 1.21, 1.15, 1.18