On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Michael Holt wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 18:00, Pierre Fortin wrote:
> >
> > Consider coding it simply:
> > > myhostname = holt-tech.net
>
> Ok, now the question becomes, why am I using my domain name instead of
> my host name where it asks for my host name?

>From my previous message in this thread:

] Bear in mind that the "myhostname =" setting in main.cf doesn't need to
] bear even the slightest resemblance to what your system actually calls
] itself; it is the string that is sent whenever Postfix identifies the
] system on which it is running to other systems (both clients and
] servers).
] As such, the value of this setting *will* have an impact on whether or
] not mail is accepted from you by some servers, as it is sent in the
] HELO/EHLO statement when Postfix initiates a connection as a client.

It is not "asking for your hostname" - it is asking you to *set* what
hostname you want it to send to other systems.

You want to use one that will resolve in at least one direction, which is
why "holt-tech.net" is needed here, and why your ISP-given hostname is
even more preferable (as the latter resolves in *both* directions).

There is nothing wrong with using the same value for the $myhostname,
$mydomain and $myorigin variables, in case you're wondering.

--
Bill Mullen   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   MA, USA   RLU #270075   MDK 8.1 & 9.0
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people